Koh Tao in Thailand KohTaoZone the first guide in French on Koh Tao, diving, news, information and guides on the island, hotel, compare prices, and more

Stay informed | | | |
You are here: > > Read a message

"Forum Koh Tao" seasons & climate

Southern floods Thailand November 2011

Started topic the: On nov 03. 2011 at 11:39
Charly
Member moderator

(View profile)
Validated user
Editor:
Published articles: 734
On nov 03. 2011 at 11:39 viewed 12760 times Charly said:
"This post is the extension of the post entitled"South Thailand Floods October 2011".

If I deliberately chosen to call this post "flooding South Thailand", it is among other things for the people who wonder if South of the Thailand is affected by the floods find their answers here.

Let us recall that by South of the Thailand (Koh Tao, Koh Samui and all the Islands in General, Phuket, Krabi, Surat Thani, Hua Hin, Pattaya...) is not and will not be affected by floods always well north of Bangkok to Ayutthaya.

Recall of a few key elements for tourists :
Concerning the Transport :
- Bus : for go to the South : Sai Tai may bus station (southern bus terminal: to go in the South) is closed and a temporary station opened at Holland Brewery on Rama 2 Road.
To go to the golf of Thailand, some private company (which are tickets bus + boat) as Lomprayah always operate from Kao San Road.
For go in the North : The majority of links are operational, except to Ayuthaya. But the bus are led to make detours to avoid flooded areas. Thus, no problem to go between another Kanchanaburi, Sukhothai, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai... Mochit bus station is still open and if it were to close, it would be deported to Suvarnabhumi airport.
- Airplane : Don Mueang airport is closed and its flights are largely deported to the Suvarnabhumi airport. No problem to go from Suvarnabhumi airport to the city centre of Bangkok
- Train: South : The train leaves more of the Hua Lamphong station in Bangkok, but 60 km away, to the Nakhon Pathom station. Forwards them by bus are organized directly from Hua Lamphong. Therefore, to take the bus to get to Hua Lamphong station.
- Train: North : Links are operational. But trains are too of the detours and the number of train departing shortly to be changed.

Situation in Bangkok :
about 20% of Bangkok is affected by the floods: 8 districts 50, primarily the North and West of the Chao Praya River. Chao Praya goshawks are likely to know of the flood, sometimes point due to the tide. The boat taxi from Chao Praya (Chao Phraya Express boat) are arrested.
The vast majority of tourists from Bangkok indicate still to this day that they have no difficulty to visit what they are come visit. Mean by this that "star attractions" of Bangkok are always open and accessible: large Palace (caution it is sometimes surrounded with tide water), inclined Buddha, Chinatown... Note that Chatuchak Market was closed last weekend but will be open this week end (water pumps are installed, they learned a few minutes ago).

If you see an area flooded during your visit to Bangkok, do not walk in the water (risk of disease and electrocution). Currently there is a shortage of bottled water but you will find even in street merchants.
If you decide to come to Bangkok, you will need to keep an eye on the evolution of the situation.

The northern and Central : all the major tourist cities are visited Ayutthaya and the North of Bangkok.

Attention media There has been a lot of misinformation or in any case non-oriented tourist information. Could see things written in the media as "The Thailand is under water", "Bangkok is under water". It is in the strict sense of the words not the case.
It removes well safe nothing to the fact that a large part of the Thailand, mainly the central area and North of Bangkok has experienced and still knows of destructive floods that resulted, sometimes indirectly, the deaths of more than 400 people.

I invite you to also follow the blog of Richard Barrow

The question can you currently visit Bangkok, I would say: Yes for the most part but follow the news closely.
The question can you currently visit the Thailand, I would say: well sure Yes! Most tourist destinations are dry, North South.

Nono

Anonymous
(View profile)
From 28/10/2011
On 04 nov. 2011 at 08:38 Nono said:
Hi Charly, thank you for all your helpful info. J? landed by Oct 11 November in Bangkok and I wish to take a vip bus to koh samui 999 on the same day, peux you show me how to give us from the airport to the temporary bus station?
thank you

Charly
Member moderator

(View profile)
Validated user
Editor:
On 04 nov. 2011 at 09:24 Charly said:
Salut nono.
You will find a access here. Holland Brewery on Rama 2 Road is point B on the map.
You can also print this address and show it to a taxi:? ??????2

Charly
Member moderator

(View profile)
Validated user
Editor:
On 04 nov. 2011 at 12:24 Charly said:
The situation is not arranged in Bangkok.
Water advance and is now on the city centre.(Source) Bangkok Post)
We begin to see more and more tourist attraction close:
-Fashion Island shopping mall
-Union Mall Ladphrao
-Central Ladphrao
-Major Ratchayothin
-Safari Park and the Marine Park of Safari World (closed until November 10)
-Dream World
-Wat Pho and Wat Arun are still open, but the level of water autour is... top. The site is almost deserted.

The MRT works but trips are closed.

47 street of Bangkok are now closed (Source) Bangkok Post)

On the map of area at risk, the grip will be (select the 5th option in the list to the right).
The situation of transport out of Bangkok remains unchanged.

There is always something to see in Bangkok, but until when...
This is a map automatically update in the sectors tourism key with their situation from flooding.

Chicano

Anonymous
(View profile)
From 18/10/2011
On 04 nov. 2011 at 16:34 Chicano said:
Hello Charly
could you tell me or is the grand palais and the bougha of Emerald from flooding. It is the 2 visits planned by my next tour for Friday morning, and then it goes to samut sakon, and samut songkram
friendship charly

Francis

Charly
Member moderator

(View profile)
Validated user
Editor:
On 04 nov. 2011 at 18:20 Charly said:
Hi francis,.
Here below is a drawing that allows me to "think Bangkok", a point of view map. This is just a trick memo-technical personal to me.

When it returns to pencil the Chao Praya River and it extends the line on the wall of protection around Bangkok, ca gives us a profile face looking to the left.

On the image on the left, I do this route in violet/rose - I added an eye to better realize.
The image on the right, shows just the wall of protection in red, and colored areas of risk.

The grand Palace and the Emerald Buddha are stack poile both at the tip of the nose, shore East of Chao Praya. The outside part of the nose is in a risk zone, the domestic portion of the nose knows of the floods only when high water large tide. The next high tide are about 10-16 November 2011, the morning. It's the next weekend...
Download here the tides of 2011 on Bangkok.

Chicano

Anonymous
On 05 nov. 2011 at 04:35 Chicano said:
Thank you much charly
béné

Anonymous
On 05 nov. 2011 at 12:13 béné said:
Francis you pars when exactly?

We arrived on Tuesday morning in Bangkok and it took to following the flight to phuket

A bientot

béné
Chicano

Anonymous
(View profile)
From 18/10/2011
Nov 06. 2011 at 05:09 Chicano said:
I come to bangkok next Thursday November 10 at 3: 00 pm local

I remained there Thursday after noon, Friday and then I start the circuit back to the North by small step.
I returned to bangkok on Thursday, following Friday

Francis

Chicano

Anonymous
(View profile)
From 18/10/2011
Nov 06. 2011 at 05:40 Chicano said:
Hello Charly
I returned to you
my tour operator must I call tomorrow afternoon to confirm me my departure on Wednesday
can you give me info on the situation in bangkok today because in surfan on the web, I am not of the recent news.
the tour operator has a tendency to not exactly tell me the truth
situation;
international airport, bangkok centre, hotel royal river and grand palais
think you that between today and Wednesday, things can evolve in better or worse
Thank you much charly
friendship
Francis

Charly
Member moderator

(View profile)
Validated user
Editor:
Nov 06. 2011 at 06:58 Charly said:
For international airport still no problem.
The grand palais is still open, did not believe those who say otherwise.

At present, the situation is a roughly as follows:
Still no problem for walk in the centre of Bangkok and doing most of the things that tourists are usual.
However, there is little sign of improvement, water continues to progress, from the North of Bangkok, and for the moment there is no reason that would make that water can't even in the heart of downtown Bangkok.
The Prime Minister yesterday assured that flooding of central Bangkok would be minor and brief (Source) VOA). The deadline is intended for in 1 to 2 weeks.

The Bangkok Governor said yesterday that water could arrive at the Victory Monument by today (source) THA Nation. But today, still nothing. Some say now that it will be in 3 days.
Therefore by next Wednesday, may be that it will be the case... or not.

In any case, if currently everything is rather well in the centre of Bangkok, water advance despite the dams in place and that, everyone agrees to say. For the timing, it is quite blurred.

Go to the Palace Friday morning, is in principle not the best idea, the high tide is expected at 07: 15. Therefore it is better to go to 13: 00. This tide will be less high than the previous, but as a precaution... I décalerais.

Chicano

Anonymous
(View profile)
From 18/10/2011
Nov 06. 2011 at 07:11 Chicano said:
Thanks charly by all these info
the time of the visit of the grand palais depends on the attendant because I visit with a group of 50 people and I am not free of working it days time.
This is the day of Friday
Visit the Grand Palace and the temple of the Emerald Buddha. The Grand Palais is home to several monuments and temples in different architectural styles. The Wat Phra Kaeo is home of the Emerald Buddha. Departure for Samut Sakorn and Samut Songkram. Boat trips on the River Mae Klong, along the klongs lined floating homes and tropical gardens. Installation on the site of Baantaihad, authentic Thai and modern houses located on the River Mae Klong. Traditional dinner followed of boating to see the ballet of fireflies on the water.

friendship
Francis

Charly
Member moderator

(View profile)
Validated user
Editor:
07 nov. 2011 at 09:33 Charly said:
Here's one map update floods in Bangkokoutcome of the service of the Governor of Bangkok.

Nono

Anonymous
(View profile)
From 28/10/2011
Nov 09. 2011 at 15:05 Nono said:
Hi Charly thanks again for all your info and very useful advice is super! I arrive in Bangkok Friday, has not moved the station to go to the South (koh samui)?
friendship

Charly
Member moderator

(View profile)
Validated user
Editor:
Nov 09. 2011 at 19:06 Charly said:
Still no sign of improvement on Bangkok.
But the level of the water in the centre of the Thailand continues to decline.
In the next two weeks it seems now inevitable that central Bangkok is affected by the floods. Hard to know how much.

The bus to go to South Station is still deported to Holland Beer Rama 2 Road.
Address in Thai:? ?????? 2
129/9? 6 ?.?????? 2 ????????? ?????????????? ???????? 10150
???. 0-2453-2244, 08-6325-4200-1.
However, flood moving forward, including on Rama 2 road, this "new" bus station may be in turn flooded or inaccessible, may be tomorrow. The chain of television PBS today warned Wednesday: the people who want to go in the South, must from Thursday as Rama 2 road may become inaccessible as soon as Friday.

Remember that Rama 2 Road is the main artery in the South of the country from Bangkok. It is "the highway of the South".
The Nation indicates that 2 alternative routes are in preparation to work around the flooding on Rama 2 road. These bis routes should be ready by next Saturday.
Follow the evolution of Rama 2 road via Twitter.

This has not yet been said by media, but if the bus station to Holland Beer were to close, it is likely that she would (not yet) be moved. Will it know surely officially tomorrow. For the time being, Holland Beer Rama 2 Road bus station is still in function.
The transport company press releases are online here. Follow.

Charly
Member moderator

(View profile)
Validated user
Editor:
Nov 09. 2011 at 21:22 Charly said:
Some good news: the Irrigation Department indicates that Bangkok may be dry in 11 days.
(Source) Bangkok Post)
Attractions in Ayutthaya réouvriront starting November 15:
(Source thaitravelblogs

SEB

Anonymous
(View profile)
Since 10/11/2011
On 10 nov. 2011 at 11:25 SEB said:
BJR has all and one thanks a toi charly for your information we start on 10 December in thai for one month in commencan by the South and after we amllons to vietnam during 1 I also think you that all ca will be rule thanks d advance for your response think you as the best way for this make ko samui and bangkok p make l aircraft in view of what happening and ko chang and It thank you

Charly
Member moderator

(View profile)
Validated user
Editor:
On 10 nov. 2011 at 12:00 Charly said:
Hi Seb,
Let's start with the end,
Koh Chang is not affected, I know without there going where have info, everything simply because Koh Chang is an island. The flooding remains are not due to the rain falling, but water "down" of the continent to the sea. The Islands cannot be touched.

For get off at Samui from Bangkokyour wholesale 7 possibilities. See the link. All means are operational but the departures of Don Mueang are from Suvarnabhumi to new order. The best way to go to Samui? It is a question of budget, not flood. If you have a small budget, passes by the bus of the Government. If you have the means, takes the aircraft.

I think that by December 10, floods will be finished nearly finished (it crosses fingers). This northern waters down to the sea, has now for more than 1 month and yesterday the authorities announced that half of this volume of water is already distributed to the sea. At Ayuttaya, he already started the post-flood cleaning. The only really critical things remaining for a tourist, it is how will take place the last straight line on Bangkok in the coming days/weeks.

For the Viet Nam, I do not know the situation of flooding.

Good preparation!

PS: the next time trials to the punctuation in your message. It is hard to read.

lilouludi

Anonymous
On 11 nov. 2011 at 10:04 lilouludi said:
Hello Charly

We follow all your information for several weeks, we would like to thank you for all this information because this really allows us to assure!

Here in France all persons say us: "but you are crazy to go to Thailand now!" And we talk about them as soon as you!

We leave on November 25 from France and will arrive on 26 in Bangkok, will be well how c on-site...

Thank you for everything

Ludivine
Julie

Anonymous
(View profile)
From 24/10/2011
On 11 nov. 2011 at 14:25 Julie said:
Hello to all

We have been a bangkok November 07 and remains 3 days. no trace water for tourist areas except koahsan road were taxis refuse to take us

We are now today has sukothai and are going to chiang mai. We were able to make us but we have seen floods ds North of bangkok. some passages road ds water but nothing serious.

Ayuthaya n is not accessible

NS hope have don't the next arriving
Julie

Charly
Member moderator

(View profile)
Validated user
Editor:
On 13 nov. 2011 at 08:14 Charly said:
@Julie: If a taxi would not lead you to Kao San Road, it is not because it is flooded... as Kao San Road is not flooded!
A taxi which does not mean get you to your destination is commonplace in Bangkok, flooding or not. See the Guide to Scams.

You have already tried to ask a taxi to take you to the bus station in Bangkok? Try, you'll see. If you have the head of the "tourist coming to arrive", 8 times out of 10, the taxi will take you non-not to the bus station but in a travel agency. You will pay a maximum and in return, the taxi will receive a commission.
You go as find you in a bus with that Westerners.

So if your taxi did not want t? take to Kao San Road, I am convinced that he has found another destination offer you, otherwise it is that it is either stupid or ill-informed.

Another common scam Bangkok, it is the story of the taxi that said you that a temple was closed and leads you to the place to do shopping (in shops where it affects commissions).
With these flood stories, I let you guess the ground that will evoke the taxi to make you believe that the temple is closed! It is valid for the temples and anything else.

Whenever there were problems in Thailand (coup d'etat, Tsunami...) there have always been scams associated with.

Beware.

LAU

Anonymous
On 13 nov. 2011 at 19:37 LAU said:
Hi Charly,

A big thank you for all your valuable information!

We arrive in BKK on 17 November at 7 am, we believe go to Ko Chang in the day.
Think you that it's feasible level timing knowing that we have not booked hotel for our arrival... we read was 7 hours by bus to get there, know you if this is true?
Also, have you new information on common transport to go down there?

Thanks in advance and to +.
Flora

Anonymous
(View profile)
From 27/10/2011
On 14 nov. 2011 at 04:21 Flora said:
Hello,

By searching on the net, I find most anything regarding the actual situation in Bangkok. I turn to you Charly, because your information is accurate, and can see a little clearer! Also I thank you for.
Is believed to go to Bangkok at the end of the week, hopefully take advantage of Chinatown, Chatuchak and Kao San Road market. Know you what it is for these neighbourhoods?
Thank you very much.

Charly
Member moderator

(View profile)
Validated user
Editor:
On 14 nov. 2011 at 07:03 Charly said:
Hello,
@LAU: no problem to BKK - Ko Chang. Blocked roads maps do not issue to move in this direction. To BKK - Chantaburi buses of the Government web site says to 3: 30 pm)See schedules). After it is not much further. Buses to go down work.

@Flora: Chatuchak market was open yesterday and full world. However the autour area is flooded. To go dry walk, take the MRT.
During high tide yesterday, any Chinatown was dry.
Kao San Road flooding is not.

Bangkok the situation remains generally the same since the last newsletter of November 12 published by the State. Read here.

Good preparation at all!

Chicano

Anonymous
(View profile)
From 18/10/2011
On nov 20. 2011 at 15:05 Chicano said:
Hello, I just returned today from 11 days in Thailand. for tourists like me, not once a flooded road. I visited the Chinese cartier, grans Palace feet dry in bangkok. then I commancer back towards the North, there are large bodies of water but at no time on the l.j. road ' was even able to visit dry ayuthaya (a single temple). then most any flooding the North. It is true that there water in some areas but not in the areas to visit. in all you can go quiet

alextif

Anonymous
(View profile)
Since 23/11/2011
On nov 23. 2011 at 21:21 alextif said:
Good evening,

We want to know if the neighbourhood THEWET, and especially TAVEE Guesthouse is affected by flooding?

Thanks in advance.

Charly
Member moderator

(View profile)
Validated user
Editor:
On nov 25. 2011 at 10:26 Charly said:
Since hier, to southern (Bangkok to the sud) buses leave again from the bus station of Sai Tai Maï, as before:)

Anonymous

Anonymous
On 28 Dec. 2011 at 19:18 Anonymous said:
Hello,
Anyone know where is the situation to date concerning the floods?
There - it always in the neighbourhoods flooded in Bangkok?
Is it now possible to go and visit Ayuttaya?
Thank you in advance!
 Post a reply
Nickname: (* required)
Your message:
Attached image:
(JPG format only.) Maximum size: 10 MB)
E-mail:

(* required. Is not displayed on the forum and allows you to receive replies)
  Control Spam, 2 + 2 = ?

Currently 70 visitors online.

Latest Weather Points

20 Jul. Weather point on Koh Samui in July 20, 2018...

Search KohTaoZone

Custom Search

Most Read

22 nov. (20) Bungalow on the beach and waterfront in Koh Tao
03 March (15) Attacked by a Titan Triggerfish fish in Koh Tao
18 Jan. Rental scams...
04 March (1) alert endangered
15 Feb. (2) Sairee, really noisy and crowded in August?
01 Feb. Scooter rental
30 Jan. (2) Beaches accessible by the roads
May 11 (11) surat thani - koh tao return boat
15 March (7) More Koh tao freedom! The beaches are paid
07 oct. flight to BKK AR

Most Discussed

09 may (42) Marriage with a Thai woman
06 nov. (37) I am a victim of a scam to love
03 nov. (27) Southern floods Thailand November 2011
May 15 (26) Tattoo: my name and surname in Thai
27 Jan. (25) Book or not?
29 Jul. (21) Fishing from the edge of the island of Koh Tao
25 April (20) price long tail boat on the day
06 August (17) Save koh tao?
August 19 (16) Diving training
18 oct. (16) Marriage with a thai

The Forum

29 Jul. (2) Songserm company to avoid
27 Jan. (25) Book or not?
31 March (3) dirt from water to Tao
26 March (4) Council for diving
30 June The Glorious Sons Lightning (Official Video)
23 June New software XEvil 4.0 can break BitFinex Captcha
15 March (7) More Koh tao freedom! The beaches are paid
May 29 Family room - from 10/07 to 17/07
May 29 Family Booking - From 10/07/2018 to 17/072018
03 March (15) Attacked by a Titan Triggerfish fish in Koh Tao
May 20 New software XEvil 4.0 recognize of captchas Google, Facebook, Captcha.Com, SolveMedia, Bing
May 15 There are 266!
08 may EssayErudite.com write my essay .
March 11 vacation to koh tao
08 sept. (29) tourists flee koh tao because of dirt
17 Feb. (2) Noise has Sairee
01 March A nice video all fresh of koh tao
25 April (20) price long tail boat on the day
15 Feb. To know more?
16 Jul. (9) Scam scooter in Koh Tao: minimize risk

"Go to the forum

Most

Agenda / Event

27 Jul. (J-5)
Asalha bucha day (holiday)
28 Jul. (J-6)
Khao Phansa (holiday)
29 Jul. (J-7)
Full Moon Party
12 August (J-21)
Her Majesty the Queen's birthday
26 August (J-35)
Full Moon Party

News
By the One in Koh Tao

15 Jul. Koh Tao imposes on professionals to treat their water...
14 Jul. Towards the elimination of waste and safety...
09 Jul. (1) An official hospital opens in Koh Tao...
May 23 Training of SSI to Koh Tao diving instructor...
26 March (2) Tao Festival 2017: A green festival...
May 28 Koh Tao sur Google Street View...
21 Feb. Jean Dujardin at Koh Tao for Brice de Nice 3...
23 April (1) Koh Tao: 5th most beautiful island in the world and 1st ASI...
24 Dec. (1) A diver died struck by a propeller...
26 nov. 1 of the year 2015 to Koh Tao with The Experience Festiva...
16 nov. (1) Koh Tao: Towards a smoke-free island?...
01 nov. 3 videos of Koh Tao...
08 oct. The Tower of Koh Tao in 80 Blogs...
05 oct. A Belgian falls into the water on the way to Koh Tao...
03 oct. (2) Double murder of Koh Tao: Confessions of Burmese 2...