Koh Tao in Thailand KohTaoZone the first guide in French on Koh Tao, diving, news, information and guides on the island, hotel, compare prices, and more

Stay informed | | | |
You are here: > > Read a message

"Koh Tao Forum" ecology

Save koh tao?

Started topic the: 06 August 2013 at 3:16 pm
Pepper

Anonymous
(View profile)
Since 05/08/2013
06 August 2013 at 3:16 pm 38542 views Pepper said:
Hello
We are just back from koh tao and quite doubtful amounts to ll future of island... we came l last year exactly a the same period (mid-July late July) and our d concerns seem so s being implemented...
This year j found the beaches and creeks particularly dirty (bags, bottles, cups...) j therefore started every morning my ballad digestive post ti dej by a systematic waste collection... j was able to cross some holidaymakers who were similarly often with small that there were any of their energie.mais most vacationers do the pancake in the middle of waste watching you sometimes amused to your fishing miraculeuse.soit.une times the full arms arises a huge problem: find a trash can... no trash beachfront! at best a basket which will release your precious waste with the slightest gust of wind... therefore obliged to ask the restaurant to put waste into sacs.idem sceptical looks... suddenly I wonder full of questions about this famous asso, or this label knows too much "save koh tao" everyone door t shirts, there are posters and stickers everywhere but specifically it happens what?I know that garbage collection campaigns take place even if I n have not seen (except small pirates of shepard landed from jsaispasou) but wouldn't it not wiser to prevent simply installing seaside beaches and streets (because Ditto not garbage) bins to avoid that everyone throws his m...
Very shocked by the behavior of crossed during my sessions of snorkling diving instructors: big shots of Palms in corals, made incitement to the students to go touch... c is a disaster under the water.
I could also talk about waste water that stagnate for being rejected then sairee offshore but ca is already much...
I think that we will more, not by snobbery but because we know that with our arrival in the boat we contribute a destroy this little paradise.
What is it of "save koh tao?"

Alain

Anonymous
(View profile)
From 06/01/2011
Sept 09. 2013 at 11:16 Alain said:
Thank you for your testimony Pilipili. I had the same feeling during my stay in December 2010... The shards of bottles we have simply banned walking barefoot in the sand, and we're never returned despite a formation of quality to the Rescue with Master Divers. Paradise, Yes, for the carbonated and other toxicomans budding which are their "holiday" until the morning. So I ask the question: where will the benefits of this kind of tourism which have become mass? I remember only one thing, a deplorable spectacle on and under the water. And if Koh Tao was the island of the tortoise, it become the island of torture (of the environment). Miserable :-(

Carabao Dive Resort

(View profile)
Validated user
Editor:
Published articles: 11
Registrant the: 28/08/2013
Sept. 11. 2013 at 05:24 Carabao Dive Resort said:

Hello all and thanks to launch the debate that worries many more people that you can imagine here.

A small reminder first and a clarification on the Save Koh Tao: it's an association that does not exist for a long time and often worked on its own budgets (no assistance from the Government only of local donations), so a little difficult for them to work on the day the day at least to hold days to mediate.

The change will really be for next year because after the edition of the festival Save Koh Tao 2013, the Government has already paid a first grant of 2 million baht to the association. Thus major local companies awareness campaigns are created and a 30 traders and restaurants are committed to no longer give plastic bags or boxes doggy-bag to their customers (I've seen some in recyclable material provided by Save Koh Tao). Save Koh Tao has also invested in recyclable garbage bags that are on free sale.

The problem of garbage: for those who are familiar with the island of turtle they know how things are difficult to move even for the association which is "in charge" of the protection of the island. I mean by that is that they may not have the authorization of the owners to set up a system of garbage and his pickup. The latter is taxed by the Government and logistics is insufficient time to pick up all his garbage cans which are not necessarily there: owners not necessarily wanting to pay for their collection.

The difficulties of Save Koh Tao are therefore there: problem of funding, difficulties of understanding and communication with landowners on the island, big problems with compliance by tourists. What we must understand, in short, is that they cannot do what they want they do not have the freedom to act that may have a combination of same type in France.

Pollution: it comes in big part of tourists who do not really have respect for these things, at the same time there's not much that is made to encourage in them for now although this change greatly, but would it not a matter of education more than anything else? They surely are careful not to pollute at home but do it well here. They forget perhaps that the Thailand is not yet a country sufficiently developed to respond to this kind of emergency and to be able to move effectively especially when you think of number of Islands the size of Koh Tao in Thailand.

The pollution also comes after monsoon on the sides which currents bring lot of waste: Chumphon and the coast to the West of Koh Tao and Koh Phangan and Koh Samui in June and July and Bangkok and Pattaya in November and December. In short, it is not helped...

The hope: just an awareness, late of course, but real natives of the island of which undertake today on certain points besides the reduction of the emission of plastics: cleaning of beaches and dive sites, awareness of the youngest in the school. A possible tax on arrival at the port is designed to assist in the financing of these projects, a connection of Koh Tao in Mu Koh Ang Thong national park is also under consideration, as a connection from the mains of the island to Koh Phangan whose first project rejected by the associations for the protection of the coastline as toIt would break a little reef located to the South of the island.

To get an idea, try to imagine the situation of coastal French there it 20 years and today: little or no infrastructure and public budgets at the time and great efforts have been made: one can see the results today: the beaches are cleaner than at the time and the dive sites come alive. All this did was obviously in one day then patience. Things take more time here and discussions are not easy.

The position of Carabao Dive Resort : we make an effort on our scale in keeping our end of clean beach, we ban recently the presence of plastic in our club and on our boats, we will set up two to three times per month of cleaning of sites in the exchange for diving at a lower cost for our customers. We also work in collaboration with SSI for obtaining an eco-label as well as we are studying collaboration with Save Koh Tao, which was not done before. Awareness is also here and we have a very good response from our guests who will be more and more involved in our initiatives.

We are not the only ones to commit ourselves but you have to be a little patient, it is difficult for clubs to small and medium size to allocate budgets in green missions: little or no system of subsidies by the State to private companies in this type of project, so difficult to find this kind of budgets. The responsibility also belongs to everyone to pick up a bit of waste either on the beach or in the water.

Thanks again for this post and continue to participate in the conservation of the environment whatsoever on Turtle Island or Koh Tao is also not so dirty compared to other islands and other destinations diving. Our direct environmental protection belongs to everyone and is the responsibility of all..!

A +

Alain

Anonymous
(View profile)
From 06/01/2011
Sept. 11. 2013 at 06:38 Alain said:
Carabao thanks for these reassuring clarifications.

hambdoula on 78.216.58.221

Anonymous
Sept. 11. 2013 at 3:43 pm hambdoula on 78.216.58.221 said:
Save koh tao? nothing that the name says already everything... It is too late to save this island it is already in distress since very long... is this association? It is a ridiculous disconcerting. NOTHING is done to make this island is clean and nothing will.
Michel on 110.77.158.122

Anonymous
Sept. 11. 2013 at 4:33 pm Michel on 110.77.158.122 said:
Hola I think you're going to be very strong Hambdoula... Then you speak without knowing or you talk to say anything.
I just Koh tao for some years and yes there is mayhem may this association is not a ridiculous disconcerting as you say...
Things are made and I think will be made.
I visited by the diving: Marseille: dirty beaches and seabed dead Corse: hordes of Italian boat from landing on the beach of the Islands protected off the coast of Bonifacio while it is an archipelago protected by law and I don't mean pa of the tonnes of rubbish on soils (disgusting), Phi Phi to come to Thailand I saw resort staffs bury waste on the beach to hide, Similan I no longer know what Island while it is an archipelago protected from overfilling bins outside the House of the forest guards (a peak!), Malaysia: a boat throw these trash 50 metres from our site.
Komodo and Bali even bother that I talk about it...I attended the last two editions of this famous festival for 'save' koh tao and have witnessed the change because there were...
My sense and 15 years of travel in Thailand, Koh Tao is almost the only place outside national parks or jai seen local and tourists move ass to clean beaches.
Hambdoula, it is this planet, which is not dirty Koh Tao, and which moves the bone to clean the planet, person and not roof I think!
NOTHING apart from beautiful speeches are made to clean the planet when we see this continent of plastic and in my opinion nothing will so when people are trying to make a difference in their daily place a little bit of RESPECT is always well come..!
hambdoula on 78.216.58.221

Anonymous
Sept. 11. 2013 at 8:59 pm hambdoula on 78.216.58.221 said:
you're fresh Michel
Anonymous on 118.173.222.211

Anonymous
Sept. 12. 2013 at 00:26 Anonymous on 118.173.222.211 said:
for carabao: I think it is scandalous that be pay dives to go clean
to savekohtao: you still haven't pick up any remnants of the festival 2012 at the start of the route of aow leuk!
Carabao Dive Resort

(View profile)
Validated user
Editor:
Published articles: 11
Registrant the: 28/08/2013
Sept. 12. 2013 at 06:48 Carabao Dive Resort said:

Hello to all!

When I mention the cleanups of sites at lower cost: it's only participation in the costs of profits or other, our instructors are volunteers for this.

It is not outrageous to ask participation while we dedicate a boat only for it.

France cleaning campaigns are based on the same principle.

As for the 2012 festival, Carabao is not responsible for the Organization of the festival or the possible degradation of this land which since has of course been cleaned and is in the works, it seems to me, for the construction of a next hospital.

I want to clarify that Carabao is not organizing the Festival Save Koh Tao or member of the association of the same name.

But I agree with you that there has been degradation at this festival, fault perhaps the Organization but may also to festival-goers.

A +

Flo

Anonymous
(View profile)
From 07/02/2016
On 07 Feb. 2016 at 07:07 Flo said:
+ 6
We are currently on koh tao 2 days we dream d\' one thing, leave more quickly of this island. They have destroyed all l Island, waste disposal in all ditches hotels directly sway waste into ditches, some beaches have mountains of waste which ferment in the eyes of tourists who bronze. I am sad to see a beautiful place destroyed at this point. Make them marine are... For my part I am a lover of diving and several people and site m\' had windy this so-called Paradise Island. To the rescue to the rescue

Robert

Anonymous
(View profile)
From 27/10/2014
On 08 Feb. 2016 at 00:10 Robert said:
Sorry, Flo, to your disappointment, but alas you n? are not the only ones, away from la!
Especially at this time with this gust of wind that adds even more rubbish on the beaches! This is why, I launched another post saying better should not book in advance to go on an island as koh tao which can n? be disappointing when? it's not nice!
For a lover of diving, koh tao is a destination that can only disappoint! There is often confusion (wanted by hundreds of messages posted professionally diving touting the quality of the waters around koh tao in a misleading way) the fact that koh tao is that for a not expensive training a diving (although a testimony of an instructor, the subject of another post puts much the quality of the courses a koh tao) and not for recreational diving (underwater being very poor in coral with) very limited diversity).

Robert

Anonymous
(View profile)
From 04/05/2016
May 04, 2016 at 11:49 pm Robert said:
+ 6
The day of the Earth just happened, we saw the s diving club employees clean the beaches and dive sites, picking up until the lower butt. It yba as a campaign to prohibit straws and different plastic packaging...
Ok. But I think that all these measures are a drop in the ocean compared to real pollution generated e scuba diving! Indeed, this hobby is announced as one of the most polluting! It is necessary, indeed manufacturing the material, fill bottles, use a boat (and more in addition to speed boat very energy-intensive) and for some flight long haul just to go diving! If we add to it, s taste of luxury for many divers who want to air conditioning, hot water and swimming pool for their housing more demand for products imported into the European restaurants, we reach carbon balance sheets hallucinatory!
I think that diving is really involved in the pollution of our planet!
20 years ago, the majority of tourists was only the snorkling, lived in very simple bungalows and for long stays, without hot water, pool or air-con, ate local and island was doing much better!
To the wise!

Maxime

Anonymous
(View profile)
Since 11/15/2016
15 nov. 2016 at 11:17 Maxime said:
THE situation is getting worse in proportion to the number of tourist with more in addition to generator and water demand rejected without treatment has the sea as a lotus on Sairee or at the foot of the Jamahkiri with the smell that goes with

Robert

Anonymous
(View profile)
From 27/10/2014
Nov 18. 2016 at 09:16 Robert said:
in fact I went a shark bay a few days ago and we Park the bikes below the jamahkiri or of the villa of the ground there is a stinking used water flowing continuously to the gatehouse of the guardian of the haad tien beach club! Outrageous on the part of both institutions claiming to be high-end!

olbe

Anonymous
(View profile)
From 25/09/2013
Nov 18. 2016 at 17:09 olbe said:
4 -1
I was well bit like when I said this a few months ago... on the contrary!
I do not regret my change of island where I found the Thailand for 30 years with smiles really smiling, of the almost deserted beaches, old-school"bungalows facing a really blue blue sea; same ranc? ur to Samui, Phi Phi is not even speak. And yet it was paradise long before the Tsunami! really sad, very sad; on my island, of course that I keep for me so that she will not suffer the same fate...

Robert

Anonymous
(View profile)
From 27/10/2014
19 nov. 2016 at 03:47 Robert said:
the 'old' loved the Thailand as it was their arrival 30 years ago with its simplicity without need of hot water, or air-con, no pool, no pizzeria... Now the 'new' say that Thai people have the right to also develop as if development? American or l? Europe should set the example... But me, I fled this modernity to find a style more simple in Thailand and now the development has change the premises (in the example of the "farangs") who have become business-business and not what to do with their environment!
then necessarily it disappoints...

Maxime

Anonymous
(View profile)
Since 14/10/2016
Nov. 24. 2016 at 11:17 Maxime said:
and Yes Robert ca is called globalization.

Robert

Anonymous
(View profile)
From 27/10/2014
Nov. 24. 2016 at 12:20 Robert said:
well, that's sad! The modern world with its polluting comfort!

Post a reply
Nickname: (* required)
Your message:
Attached image:
(JPG format only.) Maximum size: 10 MB)
E-mail:

(* required. Is not displayed on the forum and allows you to receive replies)
  Control Spam, 2 + 2 = ?

Currently 71 visitors online.

Latest Weather Points

03 Jan. Weather point on Koh Samui to January 3, 2018...

Search KohTaoZone

Custom Search

Most Read

22 nov. (20) Bungalow on the beach and waterfront in Koh Tao
03 March (15) Attacked by a Titan Triggerfish fish in Koh Tao
18 Jan. Rental scams...
04 March (1) alert endangered
15 Feb. (2) Sairee, really noisy and crowded in August?
May 11 (11) surat thani - koh tao return boat
30 Jan. (2) Beaches accessible by the roads
01 Feb. Scooter rental
15 March (7) More Koh tao freedom! The beaches are paid
07 oct. flight to BKK AR

Most Discussed

09 may (42) Marriage with a Thai woman
06 nov. (37) I am a victim of a scam to love
03 nov. (27) Southern floods Thailand November 2011
May 15 (26) Tattoo: my name and surname in Thai
27 Jan. (24) Book or not?
29 Jul. (21) Fishing from the edge of the island of Koh Tao
25 April (20) price long tail boat on the day
06 August (17) Save koh tao?
August 19 (16) Diving training
18 oct. (16) Marriage with a thai

The Forum

18 June free vegas slots free penny slots
17 June Black Coffee Ft Black Motion Mixtape 2017
15 March (7) More Koh tao freedom! The beaches are paid
11 June ???????!
May 29 Family room - from 10/07 to 17/07
May 29 Family Booking - From 10/07/2018 to 17/072018
31 March (1) dirt from water to Tao
26 March (3) Council for diving
03 March (15) Attacked by a Titan Triggerfish fish in Koh Tao
May 20 New software XEvil 4.0 recognize of captchas Google, Facebook, Captcha.Com, SolveMedia, Bing
May 15 There are 266!
08 may EssayErudite.com write my essay .
March 11 vacation to koh tao
08 sept. (29) tourists flee koh tao because of dirt
17 Feb. (2) Noise has Sairee
01 March A nice video all fresh of koh tao
25 April (20) price long tail boat on the day
15 Feb. To know more?
16 Jul. (9) Scam scooter in Koh Tao: minimize risk
09 Feb. not so environmentally friendly...

"Go to the forum

Most

Agenda / Event

27 juin (J-6)
Full Moon Party
27 juil. (J-36)
Asalha bucha day (holiday)
28 juil. (J-37)
Khao Phansa (holiday)
29 juil. (J-38)
Full Moon Party
12 August (J-52)
Her Majesty the Queen's birthday

News
By the One in Koh Tao

15 Jul. Koh Tao imposes on professionals to treat their water...
14 Jul. Towards the elimination of waste and safety...
09 Jul. (1) An official hospital opens in Koh Tao...
May 23 Training of SSI to Koh Tao diving instructor...
26 March (2) Tao Festival 2017: A green festival...
May 28 Koh Tao sur Google Street View...
21 Feb. Jean Dujardin at Koh Tao for Brice de Nice 3...
23 April (1) Koh Tao: 5th most beautiful island in the world and 1st ASI...
24 Dec. (1) A diver died struck by a propeller...
26 nov. 1 of the year 2015 to Koh Tao with The Experience Festiva...
16 nov. (1) Koh Tao: Towards a smoke-free island?...
01 nov. 3 videos of Koh Tao...
08 oct. The Tower of Koh Tao in 80 Blogs...
05 oct. A Belgian falls into the water on the way to Koh Tao...
03 oct. (2) Double murder of Koh Tao: Confessions of Burmese 2...