Koh Tao in Thailand KohTaoZone the first guide in French on Koh Tao, diving, news, information and guides on the island, hotel, compare prices, and more

Stay informed | | | |
You are here: > > Read a message

"Koh Tao Forum" tips & advice

Attacked by a Titan Triggerfish fish in Koh Tao

Started topic the: March 03, 2011, 16:56
Charly
Member moderator

(View profile)
Validated user
Editor:
Published articles: 734
March 03, 2011, 16:56 42937 views Charly said:
1 -1

An Internet user informs us on facebook she was attacked by a fish Titan in Koh Tao while she was snorkeling (swimming on the surface with fins, mask and snorkel) and asks us to talk. Thing I will do here, because even if I do not know its history in particular, I know the story

One of the first thing we learn when we learn to scuba dive is to be suspicious of anything you do not know under water. As no training is necessary to snorkel, I'll try to make a quick topo

The golden rule is likely never to touch anything fauna or flora underwater (fish, coral ...). slug Do not attempt to interfere or interact with this environment you do not know. Always remain an observer. That said it's not enough for some fish you should keep a safe distance and stay on your guard

It notament the case with fish Titan Triggerfish. As the name suggests is a big fish, it can easily be the size of your forearm. The Titan Triggerfish is a territorial fish. This means that it has its territory (I do not know how he negotiated it with the other fish) and sometimes it will try to defend it. The dogs also have this behavior so I think you can easily understand the concept of territory

When you enter its territory, the Titan Triggerfish can sometimes become quite aggressive and even pass outright attack. It will not kill you up through a bite but it has a nice jaw you could tear a piece of skin or make you very ill

It is not unusual to see a Titan Triggerfish around Koh Tao it either snorkeling or diving. Let's say you could very well encounter a during your stay. No reason to panic either. We do not see everywhere, we do not see all the time, and are not always in "attack" either

If you see one, so you'll understand it's better to avoid trying to see it too closely. Also useful to go full speed, I've seen many times, I always kept my distance and I never had a problem. Let's say that we must remain wary. If you see it starts to turn around, you can begin to move away from its territory. If you attack, it will usually begin to address your fins by biting. In this case, not 50 solutions: it is necessary to exit from its territory (after all he was there before you ...). How in all situations where you are in danger, we must stay calm ... You will have to swim probably a few tens of meters. Try to keep it in your vision and keep the palms facing him (so you can give him a palm if he gets too close)

Below the photo of the Titan Triggerfish Easy to spot with its dorsal fin and ventral tight

Strangely, I have seen people confused with the Titan Triggerfish parrot fish. Under water colors can change and it is not always very well ... In any case they are not the same
I note that you meet with a lot of parrot fish in Koh Tao, so do not confuse them. The parrot fish is more sociable with the divers, it will not attack you

Below is the parrot fish, not to be confused with the Titan Triggerfish

arminalain

Anonymous
(View profile)
From 06/01/2011
March 04, 2011, 13:51 arminalain said:
Hello. The Titan Triggerfish has a funnel-shaped area. In diving, if the fish is interested in you, get out of its territory down. Snorkeling, do the same if you have enough breath, walk away while descending

Matt

Anonymous
On oct 22. 2011 at 11:38 Matt said:
Hello
I confirm just do this attack each turn with my 2 friends on the KOH naang yang!
CA reffroidit not bad!
filoutte

Anonymous
On 23 oct. 2011 at 03:55 filoutte said:
Hi, I does not confirm the history of the funnel. It is has a story tell students for good their do understand not back assault (s). I already passed several times to the top without ever attacking, I went several times at hand (same level as them 1 m above the sand) and the Flash attack. That one approaches them or not if they want to attack they will do. In addition to his it move very often and therefore have no fixed territory. They become very aggressive during reproduction.

PS: to be less contested should be that they stop d? be troubled by 250 every day divers and 10 videographers that they come do piss for a "super shot"
Cluster

Anonymous
May 02, 2012 08:50 Cluster said:
Hi,

After the session of today debrif is a Titan (filmed in HD) that crossed my road
a 30 metres to the beach of Shark Bay or elsewhere has been full of shark black and certain of a good tip
1.50 m see more

Tchuss
Nemo Dive Club Island

(View profile)
Validated user
Editor:
Published articles: 18
Inscribes the: 25/01/2011
May 02, 2012 at 2:14 pm Nemo Dive Club Island said:

Filoute! I give a ++++++++++++ your speech is more than respectable, it will be on FB I clickerai on I love pleasure

Anonymous

Anonymous
May 09, 2012 at 11:14 Anonymous said:
well d agreement with you Filoute! There are magnificent c is triggerfish must just not go look for it is!

PS: for those that its not very reassuring in their light green rock avoided and its trigger field!
display me I loved
Anonymous on 82.241.184.112

Anonymous
June 18, 2012 at 9:14 pm Anonymous on 82.241.184.112 said:
In rêgle General on Koh tao, no need to look for to ensure that the trigger you are!
And Yes, factory diver disturbed the world underwater, and have lived as intruders throughout their lives, necessarily now they play cat and mouse!
Best advice, keep calm, move extremely slowly protecting with his Palm, fish is lasse always after a while. For the snorkel, this is more difficult, because we see them not necessarily happen right on se...

It is not pleasant, but should not be traumatized nor, it's not the teeth of the Sea still...
Anonymous on 77.194.167.38

Anonymous
June 19, 2012 at 06:28 Anonymous on 77.194.167.38 said:
us months ago a passenger in the same boattrip we was attacking a light house, result: 8 points of suture has one foot.In collective boattrip, opportunity to defend himself with the fins step because it you inter said the fins.
Charly
Member moderator

(View profile)
Validated user
Editor:
Published articles: 734
June 19, 2012 at 06:28 Charly said:

I split the discussion since it went in off topic.
So if you want to talk of "Palm and coral":go here.

borealis

Anonymous
(View profile)
From 03/10/2014
March 10, 2014, 15:57 borealis said:
I've seen full in the Maldives and none attacked me.
But I was told that they only attacked only in breeding season, to defend their eggs.

Michou

Anonymous
(View profile)
From 03/11/2014
On March 11, 2014 at 11:00 Michou said:
Hello,
Small clarification: called in french this Ballista not Titan but brawler... We know why! ;)

Nénette

Anonymous
(View profile)
Since 01/30/2018
Jan 30. 2018 at 10:49 Nénette said:
On the edge of the island of Koh Chang, I touched something with my foot which hurt me. I'm out
immediately and I saw three black dots under three toes.
A Thai treated me this way: running white vinegar on my foot and tapping the butt of an empty beer bottle for 5 or 6 minutes, repeating the operation. She told me to wait for 10 minutes. In fact after one
half hour, blackheads disappeared! Strange no?

henry

Anonymous
(View profile)
Since 10/05/2018
May 10, 2018 at 23:49 henry said:
I just also testify of my mishap to Koh Tao. J? met yesterday in a snorkeling with my girlfriend out a fish Titian that m? attacked l? forearm without particular reason. Note that j? was between 2 big rocks. L? attack was very fast. J? have had time to put my mask in l? water to see return load to me a second time! Impressive! At that time there j? beat feet and arms to avoid what? he don't bite me back as soon as possible (I n? had no Palm)! It seems to me that? they were 2 and more. What is amazing c? is that j? was out organized and what? were many to spend the... I n? had no chance but this time I see what looks like this fish titan! Be careful crossing him. It should report the trips pie at least of prevention. It was d? a good size. And I can provide a picture of my front left arm well hacked

henry

Anonymous
(View profile)
Since 10/05/2018
May 10, 2018 at 23:50 henry said:
I just also testify of my mishap to Koh Tao. J? met yesterday in a snorkeling with my girlfriend out a fish Titian that m? attacked l? forearm without particular reason. Note that j? was between 2 big rocks. L? attack was very fast. J? have had time to put my mask in l? water to see return load to me a second time! Impressive! At that time there j? beat feet and arms to avoid what? he don't bite me back as soon as possible (I n? had no Palm)! It seems to me that? they were 2 and more. What is amazing c? is that j? was out organized and what? were many to spend the... I n? had no chance but this time I see what looks like this fish titan! Be careful crossing him. It should report the trips pie at least of prevention. It was d? a good size. And I can provide a picture of my front left arm well hacked

François

Anonymous
(View profile)
From 21/05/2018
May 21, 2018 at 09:20 François said:
Recurrent attack of these triggerfish to koh tao too disturbed by human activity.
It can really go wrong without fins that can help to flee or to act as a shield.

Post a reply
Nickname: (* required)
Your message:
Attached image:
(JPG format only.) Maximum size: 10 MB)
E-mail:

(* required. Is not displayed on the forum and allows you to receive replies)
  Control Spam, 2 + 2 = ?

Currently 74 visitors online.

Latest Weather Points

20 Jul. Weather point on Koh Samui in July 20, 2018...

Search KohTaoZone

Custom Search

Most Read

22 nov. (20) Bungalow on the beach and waterfront in Koh Tao
03 March (15) Attacked by a Titan Triggerfish fish in Koh Tao
18 Jan. Rental scams...
04 March (1) alert endangered
15 Feb. (2) Sairee, really noisy and crowded in August?
01 Feb. Scooter rental
30 Jan. (2) Beaches accessible by the roads
May 11 (11) surat thani - koh tao return boat
15 March (7) More Koh tao freedom! The beaches are paid
07 oct. flight to BKK AR

Most Discussed

09 may (42) Marriage with a Thai woman
06 nov. (37) I am a victim of a scam to love
03 nov. (27) Southern floods Thailand November 2011
May 15 (26) Tattoo: my name and surname in Thai
27 Jan. (25) Book or not?
29 Jul. (21) Fishing from the edge of the island of Koh Tao
25 April (20) price long tail boat on the day
06 August (17) Save koh tao?
August 19 (16) Diving training
18 oct. (16) Marriage with a thai

The Forum

29 Jul. (2) Songserm company to avoid
27 Jan. (25) Book or not?
31 March (3) dirt from water to Tao
26 March (4) Council for diving
30 June The Glorious Sons Lightning (Official Video)
23 June New software XEvil 4.0 can break BitFinex Captcha
15 March (7) More Koh tao freedom! The beaches are paid
May 29 Family room - from 10/07 to 17/07
May 29 Family Booking - From 10/07/2018 to 17/072018
03 March (15) Attacked by a Titan Triggerfish fish in Koh Tao
May 20 New software XEvil 4.0 recognize of captchas Google, Facebook, Captcha.Com, SolveMedia, Bing
May 15 There are 266!
08 may EssayErudite.com write my essay .
March 11 vacation to koh tao
08 sept. (29) tourists flee koh tao because of dirt
17 Feb. (2) Noise has Sairee
01 March A nice video all fresh of koh tao
25 April (20) price long tail boat on the day
15 Feb. To know more?
16 Jul. (9) Scam scooter in Koh Tao: minimize risk

"Go to the forum

Most

Agenda / Event

27 Jul. (J-5)
Asalha bucha day (holiday)
28 Jul. (J-6)
Khao Phansa (holiday)
29 Jul. (J-7)
Full Moon Party
12 August (J-21)
Her Majesty the Queen's birthday
26 August (J-35)
Full Moon Party

News
By the One in Koh Tao

15 Jul. Koh Tao imposes on professionals to treat their water...
14 Jul. Towards the elimination of waste and safety...
09 Jul. (1) An official hospital opens in Koh Tao...
May 23 Training of SSI to Koh Tao diving instructor...
26 March (2) Tao Festival 2017: A green festival...
May 28 Koh Tao sur Google Street View...
21 Feb. Jean Dujardin at Koh Tao for Brice de Nice 3...
23 April (1) Koh Tao: 5th most beautiful island in the world and 1st ASI...
24 Dec. (1) A diver died struck by a propeller...
26 nov. 1 of the year 2015 to Koh Tao with The Experience Festiva...
16 nov. (1) Koh Tao: Towards a smoke-free island?...
01 nov. 3 videos of Koh Tao...
08 oct. The Tower of Koh Tao in 80 Blogs...
05 oct. A Belgian falls into the water on the way to Koh Tao...
03 oct. (2) Double murder of Koh Tao: Confessions of Burmese 2...